First answering a few of my questions...
I have already purchased stamps and envelopes, I am fine on the coat, I got the dear elder letter that was sent from you on Wednesday and a Christmas card from Chuck and Diane and one from our stake presidency. All the other elders got pretty much the same thing i did for Christmas I forgot to ask yesterday as well if you could send me the transcript from a talk by Jeffery R. Holland called ¨missions are forever.¨ It is a great talk...you should read through it if you can, but if you could send it, even through dear elder, that would be great. If everything goes according to plan I will leave the Provo mtc on January 8 or January 9, we also have permission to purchase phone cards from the bookstore here and call you from the airport, they are 5 dollar cards so you should let me know how many i will need because I haven´t purchased any yet.
Anyway onto the week.
The day I was dropped off was a very interesting day. After I got my nametag and other items the host missionary, who helped get my stuff out of the truck, took me to my room, which happened to be on the top floor. When we got up there the other Elders up there who were in our zone were acting crazy, making it seem like it may not be the funnest floor to be on, they have toned it down over the past week and it is pretty enjoyable watching them make themselves look like fools. After we dropped my stuff off we went over to the building my classroom is in, which also happens to be on the top floor, where I met my companion, the rest of the Elders in my district, and our teacher Hermana Hall. Somehow we happen to have the largest district of twelve people, so class can get disruptive at times. My spanish is coming along pretty well there, I am not as good as some of the others in my district, but I think I am doing ok. Taking italian only really helped with conjugating verbs, other than that it is messing with my pronunciation and I keep getting words mixed up.
The second day we found that we would be teaching an ¨investigator¨ who only speaks spanish. That was hard for two reasons, the first of which is that I do not speak spanish and the second is i do not understand spanish. Luckily, Elder Jeske took 3 years of spanish and was able to communicate, while in the mean time I am flipping through a dictionary to find words to ask questions and when he delivers his answers I get to nod my head and say si. The third day was pretty much the same, but our lesson with the investigator was a lot better. I was able to ask questions without flipping through the dictionary as much, but I was still pretty much nodding my head and saying si to the answers. Saturday was pretty much the same as the others as well, but we did not have to teach our investigator so we had more time to study the language. Sunday the only thing that was different was that there was no class, no gym, and there was a fireside. Every day here is pretty much a sunday. The fireside was really good as well, Stephan B. Allen came and talked to us on the spirit of repentance.
Monday and Tuesday, the Chrismas days. We learned today that it is not good having Sunday, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and preparation day right in a row it gets you out of the habit of preparing for your lesson tonight with the investigator as much as you should. Christmas and Chrismas Eve were great though. We got to watch a Chrismas Carol and It´s a wonderful life and listen to a general authority. Other than that we did not do much but go to our class and watch mormon messages on the TV, study language, and read. We also did not go to the temple this week because it is closed for cleaning, but there is always next week. My e-mail is about to time out so I have to go.
I love you all and keep you in my heart,
Elder Jesse McCammon
No comments:
Post a Comment