In a few of the past blog posts I have indicated that Jesse has had some medical issues and has gone to the doctors a bunch, but had assured me that he was fine had some inflammation they gave him an antibiotic, no big deal. Its really hard to know since we don't get much communication about it. I wasn't sure whether I was going to blog about this, its kind of personal. But...I am an open book about stuff and I want this in his book so he can read it and remember. Documentation is a good thing, right?!?
On Tuesday, I received a phone call from the Stake President, he starts out with everything's fine, but... Well I don't care who you are those are frightening words when they come from the Stake President about your kid who's thousands of miles away and not readily reachable by phone!!! "Jesse's has been having trouble with blood in his urine and he's been to 3 doctors in Ecuador and they can't really figure out what's wrong, his Mission President is recommending sending him home for more tests." Ummm, what? Sending him home...I thought it was a UTI and he was fine? He gave me the name and number of the guy in Salt Lake so we could get more info. I was a mess at this point, so I called Bill and he called Salt Lake. They were ready to close his case when they received a call that morning saying there was more problems, they were down to 3 things...prostitis, cystitis, or cancer. (We had talked to our doctor when Jesse had the problem when he first got to Ecuador and he told us not to worry, he told Bill these same 3 things but the odds of a kid Jesse's age with that kind of cancer was very very slim.) But they would contact the Mission President and have him send us a number to reach Jesse at so we could talk this over with him. Remember I said this was Tuesday...by Friday afternoon...still nothing!! I was a bit of a mess...I seriously need to think about being medicated!!! Friday night I decided to send an email to his mission president, not sure that was okay, but I didn't think I could make it till Monday!!! This morning he sent me an email back and said he'd talked to Jesse that morning and he told him to call me.
Jesse called us at 11am (noon there), it was soooo good to hear his voice, but he sounded annoyed!!! The President had called him and asked if he wanted to talk to his mom, this was Jesse's reply...well sure I always want to talk to her, but I will talk to her in a month so why do I need to call her today?!? He said no Jesse you need to call your mom she thinks you have cancer! Then he explained a little more. That's not really what I thought actually, it was just one of the things on the list the guy in Salt Lake told us. After talking to Jesse, what seemed like a major issue when hearing all these peoples versions, ended up being maybe a bit of overkill on the Doctors end in Ecuador? He'd had this happen once before he left and we were told it was just a UTI they gave him medicine and he was fine. So here's the situation on two seperate occasions after going to the bathroom he had a couple of little drops of blood, the first time was the first week in Ecuador, the second time was just last Saturday (5 weeks apart) and he thinks he was dehydrated. After the first time he called the mission nurses and they told him to go to the doctor and get it resolved. The doctors did blood work, urine tests, an ultra sound, and a CT scan, and had him sit in his apartment for a week (overkill??) Jesse told me they've ruled out cancer so to not worry about that (I wasn't really...but we all know it was in the back of my mind...right?) He even said they told him if he came home for tests it would just be for one maybe two weeks then he'd go right back, but a couple of the tests they wanted performed are better to do here in the states.
All in all its been a bit of a stressful week. I prayed a lot and went to the temple, I am so grateful for the comfort of the Holy Ghost!!! One of these day's maybe I will be more in tune so I don't have to fret so much! I have to say I wasn't really worried about his health per-say more like the trauma of being sent home, even if it is only for a week or two. It didn't really help not having any details either. Just vague descriptions of what might be happening. I am glad I got to talk to him though. I talked to our doctor on Tuesday and he gave me questions to ask that would cause red flags...nothing...no pain, discomfort, no major loss of blood (only a drop or two) no problems at all just a bit of an inconvenience.
After talking to Jesse we feel much better. His mission president is out of the country for a few days and has an appointment to meet with Jesse on Wednesday. We talked it over with Jesse and we feel like its not that big of a deal and they need to wait it out a little longer before they send him back to the states for more tests. Our doctor told us that prostitis and cystitis can be fixed with antibiotics so were not really sure why he needs more tests...just hit it with antibiotics!!! We should find out in a week or so what they decide, but we are feeling much better now!!!
Now since this is out in the open I have to give you another of his stories!!!
So I knew he had a Dr.s appt (didn't know about all the tests) , I had asked him how he was feeling and what the Dr.s said...I got this picture in the email and this statement...i only have inflammation. it is from walking a lot and walking ¨bad¨ i have no
clue what that means. i am supposed to drink water, take pills and quit walking
like a retard. lol.
He makes me laugh!!! I am sure this is more information than most of you wanted to read, but its for posterity!!! ;)
I just ask that you still keep him in your prayers that he'll overcome and be healthy!!!
Thanks!!!
Tammie
Our thoughts and prayers are with Elder McCammon!
ReplyDelete